A van mowed down pedestrians as it sped down London Bridge in the British capital Saturday night, leaving bodies lying in the roadway, a witness to the incident told CNN.
Also Saturday, a man with a “massive knife” entered a restaurant at Borough Market, just south of the bridge, and stabbed two people inside, a witness told CNN on Saturday. The patrons sheltered in the basement and police then arrived at the scene, the witness said. The condition of the stabbed people was not known.
Authorities have not said if the incidents were related. Other details:
• London’s Metropolitan Police said officers responded to reports of a vehicle colliding with pedestrians at 10:08 p.m. (5:08 p.m. ET).
• The Prime Minister will chair a meeting of the Government’s Cobra emergency committee Sunday, according to a statement from 10 Downing Street, via Britain’s Press Association.
• “Armed officers responded and shots have been fired” in Borough Market, police tweeted.
• US President Donald Trump has been briefed by the national security team, White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer said. Trump tweeted: “Whatever the United States can do to help out in London and the U. K., we will be there – WE ARE WITH YOU. GOD BLESS!
• Authorities have not provided details of the incident or said how many people are hurt.
Mark Roberts, the witness on the bridge, said the van was traveling south across the River Thames at a high rate of speed and was swerving as it struck several people, knocking one person “about 20 feet into the air.”